I woke up at 6:30 on day 2 of vacation. Austria is two hours behind where I live so really 6:30 is pretty normal for me. We headed out on a cold and rainy day to the Lost and Found center down the street. No wallet there. Bummer. We then set out on a walking tour of the city. I loved seeing the river and the old buildings. We found some churches and scoped those out as well.
After that we took a cable car up the hill to see the castle. From the castle, we had our first good look at the Alps. We also heard a bunch of church bells, music to our ears. We saw the royal rooms and the had some lunch. I ordered the sausage and potatoes hoping for some juicy sausage and buttery roasted potatoes. In reality I got a fancy hot dog and some French fries.
 |
| Beauty! |
 |
| Royal rooms. |
 |
I love how the gold beads on the ceiling make it look like stars in the sky. |
 |
| Look at that intricate wooden doorway. |
 |
| Fancy hot dog |
After lunch we headed for the tower to get an even higher view. We passed the torture room on the way up. The view was even better but boy was it crowded.
It was cold and windy up there so we rode the cable rail back down. From there we went to find the Sound of Music Abbey. There were actually several places from the Sound of Music in Salzburg. I'm not a huge fan of musicals nor the Sound of Music. Let me pause for all the gasping at this news. As such, I'm not familiar with these places so bear with me if I give incorrect information.
 |
Part of the lake scene was filmed at that big house. |
 |
| Castle from below |
 |
| The abbey |
 |
| The steps where a song was sang. |
I also learned that Salzburg was the birthplace of Mozart. We saw his birthplace and a statue to him. We saw lots of candy with his face on it as well. We finally bought one to see what the fuss was all about but I confess it was not that great.
On our way back to our hotel we stopped to warm up with some hot chocolate from Starbucks. Then we took in some more Christmas lights and found the Christmas market. We bought some food for breakfast and luck the next day. We had intended on picking up some Asian food and taking it back to our hotel. Then we found an all you can eat Asian buffet. It was glorious.
No comments:
Post a Comment