Many of you have received a Christmas card from me over these past few years. Others have seen my craziness displayed on Facebook. There are still others who first saw a card and then later met me exclaiming, “Oh, you’re Cando the ______! I saw your picture at ______’s house."
I thought it would be fun to give some background on where this started. I spent two years working at a party store. We also sold a ton of greeting cards and it was my job to order and stock the cards. After a while the whole greeting card industry became a bit ridiculous. I stocked cards addressed to:
I thought it would be fun to give some background on where this started. I spent two years working at a party store. We also sold a ton of greeting cards and it was my job to order and stock the cards. After a while the whole greeting card industry became a bit ridiculous. I stocked cards addressed to:
Mom
Dad
Parents
Friend
Nephew
Grandmother
The Postman
the dog
From the cat to the dog
You get the point. Little old ladies would come in and buy stacks and stacks of cards to send to each relative/pet. It seemed to be so impersonal. I resolved to be done with the silly things.
Then one day I found a silly picture of myself and decided to glue it onto a piece of cardstock. I decided that if I was going to give a greeting card, I would make it memorable, make it so the person never wanted to toss my card in the trash. Below are a few birthday cards I sent:
![]() |
| I am the birthday fairy. When I tap you with my wand you get one year older. Oh my! I must have beaten the crap out of you. (borrowed from another card) |
![]() |
| I would sing Happy Birthday to you but I'm a little horse. (also borrowed) |
| I sent this for a friend born on St. Patrick's Day. |
I made a rule to never give the same card twice. I also decided that I would sit down at the beginning of the month and make cards for all the January birthdays. This became problematic and laborious when I ran out of creative juices. It also didn’t help that I forgot about making the February cards until March. I quickly ran out of steam and my card making days came to a halt.
Then one year around Christmas time, I was sitting around thinking about life. I somehow found myself wearing reindeer antlers. I mused that I could send out a single card to all my friends at Christmas time and it wouldn't be so time intensive. I also decided that I would only do it if I could make them laugh with it. So my first Christmas card looked like this:
| 2008 |
Only a small handful of people received that first card. I was testing out the reactions to see if those few people enjoyed the card. They did. Most thought it was hilarious and a few thought it was creepily funny. The following years are below:
![]() |
| 2009 |
![]() |
| 2010 |
![]() |
| 2011 |
![]() |
| 2012 |
![]() |
| 2013 - From the island of misfit toys on Rudolph. |








Oh man. You're the bayest. This year's wins for creepiest.
ReplyDeleteLove, love, love. My fav. is the reindeer. lol
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite Christmas traditions!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely the best Christmas card we receive! ♡ ♡ ♡
ReplyDelete