Monday, January 23, 2017

Vacation - Prague - Final Days

While I was in Prague, I got some advice that I should go to the embassy there to see if I could get a travel document to help gain entry into the country since I didn't have my residence permit. I took a taxi and two friends to do just that. The driver asked if we wanted him to stay and wait. I declined since I didn't know how long we would be. As he drove away I realized the place was closed. Did I mention it was cold and snowy? I was able to talk with a security guard. He told me to come back at 9 the next morning. I noted that the working hours were between 9:30 and 12:30. Who gets that job? I asked if he could call a taxi. He gave me a number to call instead. Luckily one of my friends had internet on her phone. We used the Uber app instead to call a driver. It was quick and cheap. I am a fan. 

The next morning I called the embassy before going. The security guard had recommended I do this in case I needed to bring something with me. I called and the man was a little rude and stated he could not help me in any way. I asked what I should do. He suggested I get an e-visa to gain entrance. The problem with this approach is that I would then be in the system twice. He said to do it anyway and hung up quickly. I had had enough and was fighting back tears from ALL the wallet stress. A friend came up and gave me a quick hug. 

In addition to sightseeing, I was in Prague for an expat conference. One of the features of the conference was doctors appointments with American doctors. I had already been to the general practitioner for my ongoing two-month long cough. He basically told me I was suffering from post viral symptoms and might have to struggle through for another month or so unless I get sick again due to having a low immune system. Great! Just what I wanted to hear. He did give a few things to help me feel better soon. 

Well on this particular day I had signed up to see the "girl doctor." I don't trust the ones in my city. Unfortunately the stress of the week had caught up,with me. When he asked how I was doing I melted into a puddle of tears pouring out my woes to him. He was kind and understanding and even prayed for me. I find it very comical now. 

On my last day in Prague, some friends and I did some more sightseeing. We started at the castle. They had some kind of processional as we arrived as shown in the video below. 



Entrance to the castle

Stately looking building

Required selfie with the unmoving soldier

Snow covered Prague

Lami with a snowman friend

Statue with a small Eiffel Tower replica in
the background

We walked down from the castle and over to the Charles Bridge. We grabbed some lunch at a cafe on the Old Town side of the bridge. The tomato soup was delicious. After lunch we walked around Old Town for a bit.

View of castle from down below

We climbed a bridge tower for some good
views. We were up high.

I loved this old corner building

Jumping for joy on the Charles Bridge

More Christmas lights

The Clock Tower at night

We met up with some more friends for dinner at a Mexican restaurant. It was such a treat since Mexican food is almost nonexistent in my country. I was having a good day until I got the message that my flight was cancelled. I wanted to pitch a temper tantrum. I was TIRED of dealing with adult phone calls, logistics, etc. 

I tried to figure out what to do. I ended up emailing a friend for advice on how to get rebooked and then went to take a bath and have a good ol cry about how stressful my vacation had been. There were piles and piles of snow in the city where I had a layover. After the bath I tried to switch airline companies so I could fly into another city. For some reason it wouldn't take my credit card. I gave up and went to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment