“Are you not being merely human?”
I’ve been chewing on this statement for a few days. The context comes from 1 Corinthians 3:4 which says, “For when one says, ‘I follow Paul,’ and another, ‘I follow Apollos,’ are you not being merely human?” Paul is getting on to them for choosing heroes. He basically calls it ridiculous because everyone is on the same team and it’s God who does the work.
The question Paul asked is causing me to meditate. Being merely human, isn’t that what we are humans? So why did Paul state it that way? I think it’s because he knew that, in Christ, we have been elevated to a place of sonship, a place of nobility. Later in chapter 6 he says:
“Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.” -1 Cor 6:9-11
I think Paul was trying to remind them that they used to be mere humans. They used to be ordinary sinners but they were washed. That’s not who they were anymore. They were no longer mere humans.
A few days later, my friend was praying, asking for help to live in the reality that we have no commendation because of Christ. When we fail, we can pick ourselves back up and press on because Jesus had paid for our failures. Our failures are a thing if the past. She prayed, "It's almost as if there is this nobility that comes with following Jesus."
Continuing in the theme of nobility, I read,
“Who is like the Lord our God, who is seated on high, who looks far down on the heavens and the earth? He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap, to make them sit with princes, with the princes of his people.” -Psalm 113:5-8
I was again reminded of how God takes mere humans and in Christ, makes them noble.
My prayer since then had been that I may dwell in that nobility, that I may walk and love and breathe in front of my neighbors as a daughter of the King. I don't want to live as a mere human, like my old sinning and condemned self. I want to walk in the noble newness of life. I want people to notice me from the street and think, "There's something different about her. It looks like she's not carrying around guilt and shame. She carries her head high. I want that." I want this thought of nobility to affect my thoughts too. I don't want you walk around worried and anxious wondering about provisions. I'm the daughter of a king.
No comments:
Post a Comment