“I haven't yet given over to the sweat.” My friend made this comment the other day and it seemed like a fitting title for a post. He continued, “I'm still showering two or three times a day and if I get sweaty afterwards I'm just mad.” I can totally identify with him.
It's hot here. I know it could be hotter. I’m thinking of a few friends who are seeing temps of 120°F where they are. Nonetheless, it is hot here. Yesterday the high was around 104°F. One difference between here and back home in Tennessee is that there are very few air-conditioners here. The homes and shops that are fortunate enough to have an air conditioner typically have a single wall-unit in a single room. Stores that have a central cooling system often keep the front door propped open. Someone noticed the other day that buses here have air-conditioners but of course, they are never used. Another difference here is that I walk most places. I don't have a car with an air conditioner that I can hop in and run to the store. Needless to say, I sweat a lot. Like my friend, I haven't fully given over to the sweat yet either.
There are some days, if I know I'm going to be outside a lot, I go ahead and just give in to it. It matters not that I stink, everyone around me does too.
![]() |
| Translation: Summer corner or nook |
One day last week, to help deal with the sweat, some friends and I went to the local public pool. Most public pools here have women's only days. If you live in a culture where many believe it is shameful for a man to see a woman's hair, it is most definitely shameful for a man to see a woman in a bathing suit. However, it is not shameful for a man to sell a woman underwear. I digress. In an effort to help keep things honorable, public pool pools have women's only days. I went on a particularly hot women's only day. There was a waiting line to get into the pool. As women left they allowed the waiting women to enter. We waited for about 30 minutes and then finally made it to the changing area. It was crammed full of women.
As I headed to the pool area, I noticed there was an indoor thermal pool, a sauna, a traditional bath area, and a normal indoor pool. I made it to the outdoor pool and boy, it was crowded. And dirty. You couldn’t swim more than 3 feet without swimming into another woman or girl. On my way into the pool area, I got sight of a very large, older woman wearing only a bikini bottom. She was the first of many I saw topless. I commented later that I have never in my life seen so much nakedness in my life. I then remembered my traditional bath from several years ago and remembered that day at least equaled the pool’s level of large, older women nudity. I actually saw quite a range of swimsuits at the pool. Aside from the older, “let it all hang out ladies,” I saw ladies in tankinis, bikinis, and even burkinis. A burkini is a swimsuit consisting of swim pants, a long-sleeved, loose fitting, rear covering swim shirt, and a head covering. Did I mention we were all required to wear swim caps in the pool? Apparently the swim cap rule is pretty common here. I somehow managed to miss another lady in her 60s wearing arm floaties. Priceless.
In spite of the crowd, toplessness, culture overload, and dirty pool, I was thankful for the experience. I was thankful to have both English and local language speaking friends help me navigate the public pool. I was very thankful to take a break from the sweat and cooling off in the pool.
Since I haven't yet given over to the sweat, I have now started operation #beattheheat. Here are some things I have tried:
In spite of the crowd, toplessness, culture overload, and dirty pool, I was thankful for the experience. I was thankful to have both English and local language speaking friends help me navigate the public pool. I was very thankful to take a break from the sweat and cooling off in the pool.
Since I haven't yet given over to the sweat, I have now started operation #beattheheat. Here are some things I have tried:


No comments:
Post a Comment