Sunday, August 30, 2015

#Beattheheat

My #beattheheat challenge on Instagram originated in my I Haven’t Yet Given Over to the Sweat post. I had arrived back in my hot city after a week in the cool mountains and the heat made me grumpy. I began looking for ways to keep myself cool and my attitude chipper. I kept score between the heat and myself. It was definitely a fun coping mechanism. I wanted to compile my pics in one place and announce the winner between the heat and myself. 

#beattheheat Round 1

Maybe incorrect thinking is why I’m sweating so much lately. “I think I’m cool, I think I’m cool, I think I’m cool.” Nope. I’m still hot.

Heat 1, Cando 0


#beattheheat Round 2

Thinking cool did not make me cool so I’m getting creative on how to beat the heat. Idea #1 - sitting directly in front of the fan. Cando wins a point.

Heat 1, Cando 1 



#beattheheat Round 3

Idea #2 on beating the heat - yes, that’s an ice pack on my head and yes it helps. Cando wins a point

Heat 1, Cando 2



#beattheheat Round 4

Idea #3 to #beattheheat - a handful of M&Ms from the freezer. Cando wins a point.

Heat 1, Cando 3



#beattheheat Round 5

Idea #4 to #beattheheat - Go to Heaven Cave where the temps are cool. It worked until I had to climb back out in the not-so-heavenly temp of 100+. Heat wins a point.

Heat 2, Cando 3


#beattheheat Round 6

After my sweat bath today (1 for heat), I thought I’d try to #beattheheat by getting a fruity drink and sitting under the air conditioner at Starbucks (1 for Cando.) Unfortunately heat gained another point when after 2 hours, I left a sweat soaked chair. #yesmyfaceisthatred

Heat 4, Cando 4



#beattheheat Round 7

I gained 3 points yesterday in my attempt to #beattheheat. One point for not having sweat-soaked clothes for a whole day, one for the ability to wear the clothes again, and one for obviously not needing a shower since I wasn’t caked in layers of dried sweat. Today I got a point for finding this breezy homework spot, and one for not letting the heat steal my joy. 

Heat 4, Cando 9



#beattheheat Round 8

I tried local advice to #beattheheat by drinking hot tea to cool down on a hot day. Heat gained a point. Ending the day with sugar water over crushed ice means Cando also gained a point. 

Heat 5, Cando 10



#beattheheat Round 9

Heat gained 8 points over the weekend: 
1 for losing fan privileges in a house with no ac
1 for getting scolded for not blowing hot air on my already hot/wet head before bed
1 for sweat residue AFTER the shower
1 for attempting to nap but feeling my own body heat emanating from the bed
1 for heat headaches
1 for being grouchy
1 for purchasing already melted candy bars from the store
1 for said candy bar sticking to the package when trying to toss the soiled piece away
Cando gained 4 points:
1 for floating 3 hours in the Med and staying cool (note my awesome sunscreen streak)
1 for regaining fan privileges
1 for returning to the land of ac
1 for all the laughter this post has given me. 

Heat 13, Cando 14



#beattheheat Round 10

Heat won 1 point for melting the Reese’s cup to the thickness of paper thus making it inedible and another point for pitiful air conditioning at Starbucks. Cando won a point for scoring a whole cup of ice in a country where ice is hard to come by and another for the genius idea to ask for ice. 

Heat 15, Cando 16



#beattheheat Round 11

Heat won a point for sweat baths and a point for making me feel plum awful one day. Cando won a point for being so cold there were chill bumps, one for making it back to my city with these cooler, humid-free temps. (Check out those lows!), a point for my house being almost cool enough to go without open windows or a fan, a point for my pajamas not feeling like they came out of the dryer, and a point for having fans to use at my discretion. 

Heat 17, Cando 21



#beattheheat The Final Round

Heat gained a point for making me lose sleep one night.
Cando gained:
1 point for less showers because of the absence of sweat
1 point for sleeping without a fan or open windows last night
1 point for an air conditioner at home now

Since fall temps are here, I think it's safe to say, Cando is the champion. Heat 18, Cando 24


No comments:

Post a Comment