I've been doing a reading plan where I read some Old Testament and generally some New Testament every day. By the end of the year, I will have read the whole Bible. I've really been enjoying it this time around, finding such richness in the Word. Last year, a man explained that he usually picks 3 themes of things to look for in the Word. He usually buys a new study Bible every year and color codes the themes with highlighters and makes notes about the topic. He said at the end of the year, he has a study Bible on 3 new topics. I decided to do my own version of this. I'm focusing on the following topics:
*Free will vs election
*The Holy Spirit
*Suffering and persecution
Instead of buying a new study Bible, I am using a document on my computer to record my findings on the 3 subjects as well as other interesting insights I gain from the word. I generally use the Bible app on my iPad. On mornings where I'm strapped for time, I'll add a highlight to interesting verses and then usually on the weekends go back to type out my thoughts. I mention all of this because reading the Word has been soul filling for me and thought I might share what is helping me and in turn might help others to partake in it's richness.
This week, I was meditating on John 3. I was struck by John 3:17, "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him." He didn't come to condemn us rebels. He rightly could have but he didn't. His purpose was salvation not condemnation. It reminds me of Romans 8 where Paul is asking, who can bring a charge against God's elect? Only God can but He's not, He justifying. Who can rightly condemn? Jesus? He could but He's not. No, He died for us, and was raised to the Heavens and is right now interceding for us. So the only One who can condemn came to earth, died our deserved death, forgave all our rebellion, and is now acting as a cheerleader for us as He intercedes on our behalf. He is for us. The One who should rightly be against us is for us. Isn't this glorious news?
No comments:
Post a Comment