Last weekend, I loaded up with the 2 other families who live here and we drove to a nearby city to spend the weekend. I was glad they had planned this weekend and invited me. I was sensing the need to get out of the city but since my class bled into this week and I was waiting for furniture, it didn’t seem like a good time to try to travel a long distance.
We started our day in the other city by eating breakfast at McDonald’s. I know McDonald’s is kind of gross but when you are deprived of American comforts in a foreign land, McDonald’s is glorious. A “sausage” and cheese mcmuffin and a hashbrown was a glorious way to begin the weekend getaway. We then went to check into our hotel. That place was way nicer than I was expecting. We got settled into our rooms and then headed to the pool area which was heated by natural thermal springs. The outdoor pool was cozy warm. The indoor pool had 2 slides, one of which was super fast and fun. After lunch, I decided to go back to my room and rest. I read for a while and then took a nap. It was also glorious. After I felt like I had had plenty of introvert time, I decided to see what the others were up to. I found them just coming back from the pool and beginning to get ready for a dinner adventure. Our hotel was connected to an outlet shopping center. We headed to the American food chains. Half of us opted for McDonald’s again. I told you it’s glorious when you’ve been away for a while.
Out of the 9 children in the 2 families, only 2 are girls. Those girls stayed the night in my room for a special girl time. We were all super tired from the swimming. We watched a cartoon and then played a round of story cubes. The youngest was asleep within 30 seconds of laying down.
The hotel cost included breakfast. Hotel breakfasts here make continental breakfasts in America look pathetic. Breakfast here is an all out amazing buffet. Since it was Mother’s Day, the hotel was giving out carnations to all the moms. I got one too since there really is no category for an older single woman here.
After breakfast, we hit the pool again. The water wasn’t as warm as it was the day before. I did have fun sliding again and also watching the youngest girl learn how to swim. Because it was cold and because I like swimming but I don’t love hours and hours of it, I decided to get out early and go shower. While they swam their hearts out, I decided to check out the outlet stores. I found 2 shirts, some undershirts, a coffee set, and a pitcher. By the time, I had finished up shopping, the other folks were showering and getting ready to leave. We stopped by Starbucks on our way back to our city. It was a great getaway and a nice chance to relax and just be an American with other Americans.
No comments:
Post a Comment