We had a group of folks come here to visit. One day we were in another city exploring a castle. The couple commented on how a tree we passed had the sweetest aroma. Many of you already know that I essentially have no sense of smell. I asked the couple what the tree smelled like. They were a little stumped at how to describe the smell. The wife commented, “How do you describe smell to someone who doesn’t have a sense of smell?” Even when they did describe the smell, not having a frame of reference, it didn’t register with me. When people tell me they smell roses or body odor, rain or fresh cut grass, these don’t register with me either. I have no frame of reference.
As I was walking around praying for the folks that live here, it struck me that so often sharing with them is similar to my inability to smell. They have no frame of reference for the Good News that we know. They have never “smelled” the truth so when I explain it to them, it’s like they can’t connect it with anything in their lives. Not only that, I often find it hard to share with people who don’t have prior knowledge. How does one explain the Holy Spirit to someone who has no concept of the Trinity. Where does one begin to explain that Jesus is God’s Son to people who have no concept of that. It would take a miracle for me to understand smells. Likewise it will take a miracle for locals to have eyes, ears and minds to see, hear, and understand the Good News.
 |
| View of the castle |
 |
| Lami taking a break at the top |
 |
| A view from the top |
Having guests made me fall in love with these people all over again. I live among some of the most hospitable people in the world. We went to a local version of a meat and three kind of restaurant one day in that same nearby city. The workers were so attentive to us. The ground is a dirty place so a local would never put their bag on the ground. I knew this and as we were sitting down, I was trying to find a place to put my backpack. One of the workers saw my struggle and immediately brought an extra chair to our table for my bag. Later they continued to bring us extra bread and desserts. This is pretty common place for me but it was neat to see it through the eyes of my guests.
 |
| An old church steeple |
 |
| Church doors are locked here |
 |
| View of the old church from the rear |
The city we were visiting is world-wide famous for their porcelain and ceramic. We went to a ceramic shop to browse around. We were met again with overwhelming hospitality. My guest decided to buy a fancy plate hanging near the ceiling of the shop above lots of fragile porcelain. She joked with the owner as to how he would safely get the plate down. He pulled out a tool with a handle and a metal plate scoop on it. Of course he had to give us magnets as gifts for buying from him and we had our usual glass of tea.
 |
| Ceramic fountain in the city center |
We visited another porcelain area the following day. There were lots of shops and the married couple ended up in a different one than me. The owner was serving them tea. My friend and I joined them in their tiny store. They again were overly attentive to us and we became Facebook friends with them. When the owners found out I live nearby, they told me multiple times that I can come and stay the night at their home any time I visit and they will take me around to the places I had not yet visited in their city. I think I will.
While my guests were here, I had to do a lot of translating. After a week of non-stop translating, my brain was pretty much mush. One day, my local friend said something and my American friend translated it into English. I naturally assumed that my guests did not understand but I caught myself just before I translated English into English.
 |
| My lovely friend who traveled all this way to see me. |
No comments:
Post a Comment