I go a little crazy sometimes
Can you believe it?
Yeah, I swear I'm fine, that I'm alright
When I'm barely breathing
Thought I could find my way back home,
but I get lost alone
But when I'm with you I'm no longer wandering
And when I'm with you, I swear I can breathe
When I'm with you, I know who I am and who I want to be
I'm not trying to be dramatic, no
Most times I'm pretty normal
Oh, but let's be clear and honest here
And do away with anything formal
I can fake it on my own, but I am lost alone
But when I'm with you I'm no longer wandering
And when I'm with you, I swear I can breathe
When I'm with you, I know who I am and who I want to be
I am wide-eyed
With a penchant for running
But how many times does it take
'til I find that I'm lost when I'm alone
And that's not where I belong
'cause when I'm with you I'm no longer wandering
When I'm with you I can finally breathe
When I'm with you, I swear to God
I swear to God I'm who I want to be
-Ben Rector
I’ve been listening to this song a lot. Although I recognize the intended meaning of the song is discussing human love, I can’t help but think how it adequately describes my relationship or lack thereof with God. When that relationship is lacking, I can swear all day long that I’m fine but the reality is that I am barely living, barely breathing. I can fake the intimacy but I’m lost without Him to guide me. I have a tendency to run away when things aren’t going my way or when He feels far. How many times will it take me to know that I’m lost and where I don’t belong when I’m away from God.
On the other hand, when I pursue God, when I’m with Him, I’m no longer wandering and I can breathe. When I’m with Him, I know who I am in Christ. I know where my value comes from. I know what I want my life to look like. I’m not insecure, doubting, fearful or afraid. My soul is at rest and I find joy. Perhaps the apostle John says it best:
“Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” -John 15:4-5
No comments:
Post a Comment