My experience with airport adventures in the past taught me that one rarely has an international flight without any delays, missed flights, etc. In light of this, I asked some friends of mine to pray on my behalf asking that I would have mundane travel. I began my journey and the travel was super mundane. In fact it was so mundane that I didn’t get my usual traveling migraine from stress and I was actually a little bored during the trip.
I spent my time at the Paris airport napping. I made it to the first stop in my country and managed to make it through passport control easily, get a boarding pass for my final flight, grab some water, and rest a minute at my final gate. I boarded the last flight and realized that my travel had been not only mundane but seamless. My prayers had been answered.
Once I arrived at my final destination, I got off the plane and was welcomed by a worker holding a sign with my name as well as the names of 3 other foreigners. Since we had landed in the domestic terminal, she needed to help us gain access to the international terminal so we could retrieve our checked bags. They had also made me check my carry-on for that flight since it was too big. I asked the worker how I was supposed to get my carry-on and she said to exit and then head to the domestic arrivals area and she would meet me there with the bag. I exited the international terminal and looked for my friend who was to pick me up. I didn’t see her. I was a little worried but thought that perhaps she was waiting in the domestic terminal since I had arrived as a domestic flight.
I headed over to the domestic area but had difficulties finding an elevator to get both myself and my cart of stuff downstairs. Eventually I found the terminal and the lady with my carry-on bag. I then looked for my friend and did not see her. I asked the information desk to have her paged. I waited. I tried using the pay phones with my credit card but failed to understand the new language enough to actually use it. I had her paged again. Then I left my name with the information desk and trekked back to the international terminal in case she was looking for me there. I didn’t find her there either. I was getting more worried but reminded myself that my Father knew where we each were and how we would meet up. I also comforted myself by the realization that He had brought me this far seamlessly and wouldn’t leave me stranded in the airport.
I found out that the 4th floor had a cafe with WiFi. I went up there to see if I could get the password so I could call my friend. I finally found the cafe and asked about WiFi. I understood half of that conversation but not enough to really know if WiFi was available. I turned away, dejected. At that point I had to release some of the emotional tension from that long trip, the sad goodbyes, and the complete loss for what to do next. With tears in my eyes, I decided to ask a national lady for help using the pay phones. She didn’t understand me and pointed me to someone else. I quickly found a national who spoke some English. He tried to help me with the pay phones but had no more luck than I did. He kindly offered to let me use his phone.
I called my friend’s husband and found out she had an accident on the way due to inclement weather and wouldn’t be there in time because the van needed repaired. Instead, they had asked some other ladies in that city to pick me up. He helped them to locate me and all was well again in the world.
I had much to be thankful for. I was thankful for the 95% of mundane travel that helped me arrive not only on time but a few minutes early. I was thankful for no headaches. I was glad the worker helped me get all my bags. I was thankful for the guy who let me use his phone. I was relieved that my friend was ok from the accident. I was thankful for the 2 ladies who dropped their plans to make sure I wasn’t left stranded at the airport. I was thankful for all of my former airport pickup experience and knowledge helping me navigate this situation.
Finally, I was thankful for a lesson learned. I tend to be independent and want to figure things out on my own. The Father let me exhaust all my means before showing me a better way. In building relationships with nationals, I’ve been told that friendships are formed much quicker when a person is needy and vulnerable. It helps the nationals realize that I’m just a human like them with needs like theirs. I was thankful to get to see this idea in practice within my first hour of arriving. I’m thankful for a Good Father and Shepherd who walked with me all along the way.
You can read about other airport adventures starting at the link below or by searching by the label "airport."
Adventures as a Chauffeur
You can read about other airport adventures starting at the link below or by searching by the label "airport."
Adventures as a Chauffeur
No comments:
Post a Comment