Monday, December 22, 2014

Farewell Cookeville



I remember the day I packed my Pontiac Grand Am with a few possessions and drove away, shedding a few tears, saying goodbye to my parents for a while, goodbye to my home and all that I knew to be comfortable. I unpacked my belongings into my tiny dorm room in Cookeville, TN. I remember that first day of college and shedding a few more tears, thinking to myself, “I’m not ready for this.”

Today I drove away from that home not to return for a long time. Fourteen years. Little did I know that I would spend 14 years in that new city. Little did I know that it would become my home. What lessons were learned there, what experiences that fueled growth, what deep relationships were formed there. I may have shed a tear or two as I drove away today. God was good to me in that city. There were too many blessings to count.

As I look forward to my new adventure, I have many moments where I think, “I’m not ready for this.” I expect a few more tears will be shed as I say goodbye to my family again, to this land and home. But perhaps 5 years down the road, 14 years, 20 years, I will leave the new land transformed into home and I’ll shed a few tears remembering all the wonderful gifts from that place, remembering the lessons learned, experiences that fueled growth, and deep relationships formed. 

Take a visual tour of some of my favorite Cookeville places:

My longest Cookeville home

Dogwood Park

My favorite Antique Store

Ralph's Donuts!

The Depot

The Cream City sign

Taiko -the best sushi in the world

Sherlock Park

Burgess Falls and particularly the middle falls and
the bench beside those falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment