Over the past several years, I have grown to love the book of Isaiah. I used to check out while reading Isaiah in my “through the Bible reading plan”, reading it out of obligation but not really understanding it. I think the book requires a good understanding of the overarching story of the whole Bible. This understanding for me has come after multiple trips reading through the whole Bible.
Anyway, this trip through Isaiah, there are several chapters that jumped out at me and I had to read them several times because they were so good. I am currently stuck in the goodness of Isaiah 41. In the passage below, I have replaced Jacob/Israel’s name with my own name because the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is my God too. As I read through the first time, I almost imagined God speaking these words to me loudly and with foreknown triumph, declaring my identity and the hope-filled reality of my situations:
But you, Candace, my servant,
Candace, whom I have chosen,
the offspring of Abraham, my friend;
you whom I took from the ends of the earth,
and called from its farthest corners,
saying to you, ‘You are my servant.
I have chosen you and not cast you off’;
fear not, for I am with you;
fear not, for I am with you;
be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (vs 8-10)
Who is this that has chosen me and took me from the ends of the earth rather than casting me off?
"I the Lord, the first,
and with the last; I am he." (vs 4)
The Lord who was at the beginning and will be at the end. He knows all and His power and sovereignty overarches all. This God makes the coastlands afraid and the ends of the earth tremble.
For I, the Lord your God
hold your right hand;
it is I who say to you, ‘Fear not,
I am with you.
Fear not ... I am the one who helps you, declares the Lord;
your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel. (vs 13-14)
When the poor and thirsty need water or when my soul is parched:
“I the Lord will answer them;
I the God of Israel will not forsake them.” (vs 17)
He will create rivers for them in places where there are no rivers and fountains in places where there are no fountains. He will bring a pool of water to the thirsty wilderness and springs of water to the desert.
He does all of this:
“that they may see and know,
may consider and understand together,
that the hand of the Lord has done this,
the Holy One of Israel has created it.” (vs 20)
![]() |
| Sand Lilies - able to grow in the most adverse conditions OR like water provided in the desert. |

No comments:
Post a Comment