I went for a hike on this beautiful fall day. While hiking, I began meditating on how the seasons represent our lives. Each season brings blessing. Fall gives beauty and vibrancy that is unparalleled in the other seasons. It also brings death. The vibrant leaves are wonderful but quickly the color fades and what is left are dead, crispy brown leaves. I thought of how this shedding of leaves is necessary for the trees. I read that trees shed leaves to conserve energy and maintain moisture. In addition, the leaves that fall to the ground act as a mulch that insulates and gives nutrients to the tree roots.
“We are apt to overshoot, in days that are calm, and to think ourselves far higher, and more strong than we find we be, when the trying day is upon us... We should be overgrown with flesh, if we had not our seasonable winters. It is said that in some countries trees will grow, but will bear no fruit, because there is no winter there. The Lord bless all seasons to his people, and help them rightly to behave themselves, under all the times that go over them.” -John Bunyan

Thanks for sharing your stunning photography and your thought-provoking musings.
ReplyDelete