Saturday, March 31, 2012

Joy Stealer and Glory Giver


If you’re wondering if glass breaks when dropped on concrete, it does. I witnessed it first hand tonight. It was supposed to be a nice night all inclusive of a walk to the park, dinner, and sweet time communing with my Father. The walk got started later than planned, there were interruptions, and as my glass dinner bowl began the slide to the ground my fingers also had a late start rescuing the bowl.  

I began to pick up the broken pieces and then decided I should go retrieve a broom from my house since the wreckage was in a park where children frequently run barefoot. The pity party ensued almost immediately. As I walked back to my house, my eyes teared and I began to question my Father as to why this had to happen of all nights on one I had set apart as special with Him. Minutes into my return home, I passed under a budding tree with spring blooms serving as a canopy over my head and fallen blooms carpeting the walk beneath me. A quiet whispering of the word ‘glory’ was the only appropriate response. I grabbed a handful of the fallen blooms as physical evidence of the glory, the hope.
My mind returned to the broken glass and then journeyed back to a year earlier at a cabin. I have an Easter tradition where I spend every Easter weekend at a cabin in solitude resting and listening and enjoying time away with my Father while remembering the death and resurrection. Last year was no different and the weekend had been magnificent until the cabin was invaded by an unwelcome intruder. I had propped the balcony door open to allow in natural air and accidentally let in a bird as well. Those who know me realize that I do not have a great affinity for birds. I did the only natural thing a person would do in that situation,I freaked out and called my dad. My dad instructed me to do the obvious thing and take a broom and assist the bird back outside.  After many fruitless attempts to shoo and/or pray the bird out and one or two adult-sized temper tantrums, I did the irrational thing and packed my bags leaving early.  
I was thinking about these two incidents tonight and asked God why He lets these joy-stealers happen on the times set aside as special and sacred to be with Him. He gently reminded me that He is not the joy-stealer, that title belongs to our enemy. I then looked up at the sky and saw two stars peeking through the clouds, more glory. Yes, He is not the joy stealer but rather the glory giver. My tears dried up immediately at this new thought and my joy slowly began to return.

After returning to the park to clean up the broken glass, I went on to another park, my favorite park at night. I laid down on a park bench and stared up at the sky for a while. There were clouds in the sky in constant motion. As I watched the clouds roll by, every so often I would see a star peeking out. I watched the clouds roll over the face of the moon as well. At times I could see no moonlight. After a few seconds I would see a hazy moon followed by no light and then the whole section of sky would light up as the moon became unhidden. 

I began to think about my relationship with God. At times it’s hard to see Him because my circumstances are cloudy and block my vision. At times I get little snippets of His glory as I did tonight. Then there are those times where I see His brightness radiating right before my eyes. Clouds may come and go, circumstances may come and go, dishes will break, plans will be interrupted, stuff will invade my life but the moon, God, they are constant. Every night, the moon will be in the sky whether I can see it, whether I look for it, it will be there. Likewise, God is present when I can’t see Him, when I’m not looking for Him. He is just as present daily as those times I actually stare into His glorious face. He is the glory giver, the joy giver, the life giver.  
The night ended well. I remember thinking as I lay in the silence, eyes wide open to glory, ‘This is good. Yes, this night definitely turned out good.’  

“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.” -Jesus (John 10:10)
“Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit”
(Bidden or Unbidden, God is Present)
“He bowed the heavens, and came down;” -2 Samuel 22:10
“Who is like the LORD our God, Who is enthroned on high, Who humbles Himself to behold The things that are in heaven and in the earth?” -Psalm 113:5-6 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment