“Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.” -Philippians 2:3-7
Oh that we would actually live like this. Would that we never acted on our selfishness. Would that we actually treated others as more significant than ourselves. Would that we looked to the interests of others before we looked to our own. Would that we didn’t act like we were the king that deserves worship and service and treated our brothers as higher than ourselves. Would that we actually use the mind of Christ, the Spirit inside of us. He was God but He didn’t trumpet this right to all those around him demanding service and worship. He became the biggest servant. He calls us to do the same. That is our holy calling.
I often shrink from servanthood fearing that others will trample on me or take of advantage of me. They will. But we have done this to Christ. We don’t deserve his death or service yet he freely gave it. He calls us to do the same for our brothers and sisters.
I remember an incident from several months back. My two friends and I were making a trip to a nearby city. I purposed before the trip ever started that I would honor my friend, letting her have the front seat of the car and I would take the back seat. I planned it to be that way before I ever got to the car. Now, my friend tends to be a big taker. She is prideful and selfish and will take as much as she can. She never once offered to give me the front seat. My other friend commented that she appreciated me taking this selfishness with grace. The thing is, I didn’t see it that way. Because I had made the choice ahead of time, my friend took nothing that I hadn’t already freely offered. I’ve seen this pattern play out over and over in my life. When I purpose to think of someone higher than me, they no longer have anything to take from me. But, on the other hand, when in pride I consider myself better than others, I get to the car situation and all of a sudden I feel taken advantage of. I become angry or bitter because this other person has not treated me like the important king that I am and has taken my right. But oh how much more peace rules in the world when I humble myself, think of others better than myself, and freely give. May I truly become like Jesus, laying my life down of my own accord.
“For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.” -John 10:17-18
No comments:
Post a Comment