Monday, March 13, 2017

A Week in the Life Episode 15

If week’s had theme’s this week’s would be called “Striking Out.” I struck out when I attempted to make the nicely glazed pineapple chicken meal and it turned into Pineapple Chicken Stew. I struck out when I arrived at the post office too early to pick up a package. I struck out when I tried to visit or make plans with 5 separate friends in a single day and then another 5 folks on other days. I struck out when I tried to make new friends. I actually did get a little time with Sandra but our time was awkward and I sensed that she wished I was not there. That felt like a strike. 

In spite of striking out, there were some good parts of the week. J and I went to see La La Land in English. The movie theater showing it is relatively new so this was my first time going to that one. I found it to be much nicer than the other one. The area outside the theaters felt fancy. Inside, all the seats were correctly numbered and the reclining seats made it feel a little more luxurious. The other theater is accessed through a food court and then after walking down a plain corridor, you arrive at your theater. The seats in the other one were cloth and my road had about 6 seats all numbered 16. 

The movie was listed as starting at 5:15. We arrived outside the theater at 5:10 and found it to be roped off due to cleaning. We were allowed in at 5:13. Rather than previews, there were five minutes of commercials and then the movie started. All movie theaters here give an intermission halfway through the film for a bathroom break. I love that part of movie experiences here. 



I stopped by to see CFS one day only to learn she had quit! I was so shocked and a little sad to lose this regular hangout spot. I called her to get the scoop. She in turn invited me over for dinner. We had fried anchovy sandwiches, tiny bones and all. I think I would have really liked the meal were it not for the tiny bones. 



I wanted to add a few more pics from the week. One day I wanted to try to make some new friends so I visited some of the shops in the city center. I found a myriad of weird things in a jewelry store. I am clueless as to what the purpose of these things are.



In Turkish, the letter c makes a jeh sound. So if someone is reading my first name, Rebecca, it sounds like Reh-beh-jah. In addition, Turkish does not have a -th sound which means locals can’t make that sound, it often comes out as a tee sound. Finally, it is rare to see two consonants together. When they are together, as in the case of their word for sport, spor, they pronounce it as see-poor. Or they pronounce plan as pee-lahn. 

All this means that when the postman drops a package off for me, he asks if I am 
Re   be  cca Can  da  ce  S   mith
Reh-beh-jah John-dah-jeh See-meet.

Of course, when I saw this sign for Granny Smith apples the other day, I had to have a good chuckle. 




No comments:

Post a Comment