Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Magical Snow Covered Cave City

Several years ago, I saw a travel website for my country that said staying at the Taskonak Hotel was a must do. I fell in love with the pictures and decided to add it to my bucket list. After our Airplane Detour, we spent several days in the magical snow covered cave city and stayed in the bucket list hotel. The hotel itself wasn’t as magical as I remember but the fairy chimney cave city covered in snow was quite magical. 







The refrigerator did not work so we created our own refrigerator in the window. It was so cold outside, the window kept our things cold. One of the coolest parts of staying there for me was that we had a real skeleton key as our room key. It took me several tries to figure out how to use it but once I learned, I felt nostalgic about getting to use the old key.

Our makeshift refrigerator


What a cool old key!


We spent our time there sleeping, shopping, eating, and seeing the sights. With the icy snow covered hills, I was so thankful we had not rented a car to drive. 

Magical Snow City

One of the things I love about my country is the beautiful art forms here. I felt like everywhere we turned, I was looking at something beautiful. We stumbled into one shop and found a guy decorating some of the beautiful ceramic plates sold here. We visited a carpet store and my mom picked out a carpet. Of course it was at least an hour long process and we had at least one cup of tea. I also bought some beautiful colorful glass lamps. 


Glass plate before it is fired in the kiln

After pic

My favorite carpet

The carpet my mom bought




The city is famous for their meat and veggie dish cooked in clay pots. On our last night, we decided to try it with shrimp. Bad choice. We all agreed the flavor was not good. I had had the dish with beef and remember it being yummy but this version was awful. I don’t say that very often about the local cuisine. I made friends with the server since I spoke his language. He offered to let me beat the lid off of the clay pot with a knife. The angle was a little awkward and I couldn’t get a good, solid hit. He told me to hit harder and I suggested that he should just finish the job. I hit one more time and nailed him on his thumb. He then finished the job for me. My mom scored a video of this entire exchange. 

Our food was cooked in those clay pots

A fun snowman outside the restaurant



1 comment:

  1. I love to hear about your adventures. Sounds like a super cool place.

    ReplyDelete