After seeing Sardis and the temple, we found some lunch. The rain had not only held off, but we saw some sunshine and blue skies. It rained again while we were eating but as we left, we saw the brightest rainbow, a reminder of God’s faithfulness.
We made our way to Philadelphia. The site of this church is in a city center and takes up about a block. The remaining structure was originally built around 600 AD.
“And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: ‘The words of the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, who shuts and no one opens. “‘I know your works. Behold, I have set before you an open door, which no one is able to shut. I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. Behold, I will make those of the synagogue of Satan who say that they are Jews and are not, but lie—behold, I will make them come and bow down before your feet, and they will learn that I have loved you. Because you have kept my word about patient endurance, I will keep you from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole world, to try those who dwell on the earth. I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown. The one who conquers, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God. Never shall he go out of it, and I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down from my God out of heaven, and my own new name. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’ -Revelation 3:7-13
While at Philadelphia, we briefly discussed this passage. Only Philadelphia and Sardis do we find praise and no condemnation. Perhaps it is because of their steadfastness that it says the ones who conquer will be made into a pillar in the temple of God.
I saw a sign in my travels that said my country is the world’s largest museum. I think that’s an accurate description. It seems there are ancient ruins everywhere you go. I heard that if someone finds an artifact on their property, the government will seize their property and turn it into an excavation site. I heard about one lady who found some artifacts in her garden. She petitioned the government long enough and they allowed her to turn her garden into a museum. She was able to keep her property this way. Many people who find artifacts will claim they found them on the roadside to prevent their property from being siezed. Philadelphia serves as a depository for these found pieces.
| Depository |
We left Philadelphia and headed to the nearby area with thermal waters. We spent the night in a thermal hotel. I had ran out of water so I went to the bar area to ask for a bottle for my room. The guy discovered that I was an American who could speak his language. He was so shocked that he let me have the water for free. This is one of the perks of knowing some language in a touristy place. Score!
After dinner, we hit the pool area. There were many options. An indoor heated pool with luke warm water. A jacuzzi with warmer water. An indoor thermal water pool with super hot water and an outdoor thermal pool. The outdoor pool felt lukewarm in the pool part. It had a mountain looking feature in the center. Apparently it started out as a pole with thermal water shooting out of it but over the years, the mineral deposits developed into a mountain looking place. The water flowing down this feature was piping hot. It felt so good in the cool night air.
The next morning, we ate breakfast and visited the White Castle (Pamukkale) and Hierapolis. This was my 3rd time to the White Castle in five months. I’m becoming quite familiar with the place.
No comments:
Post a Comment