Sunday, March 1, 2015

I Don't Know Why...

I learned a new word this past week: şaşkın - it means confused. It’s a good word since I’m confused or not understanding on a regular basis here. To help you join in my confusion, I’ve starting a list of things that puzzle me here. It very well may turn into a series. Enjoy!

*I don’t know why a single button on my brand new shirt is different from the rest.
*I don’t know why I have to pay for my university class at a bank rather than at the university.
*I don’t know why the university didn’t set a starting time for my class until the day it began. (Update: I have since learned that setting a starting time for my class on the day it begins is actually uncommon. Day 2 or 3 is a better bet.)
*I don’t know why it is so hard find a restroom here. Do these people never have to go to the bathroom? 
*I don’t know why I can’t use my credit card to pay for certain large purchases.
*I don’t know why it is inappropriate for men to see a woman’s head uncovered but perfectly acceptable for them to sell panties and bras to said women.
*I don’t know why it’s perfectly acceptable to begin language class without books.
*I don’t know why the books were possibly available on the first day of class but I was told otherwise. I also don’t know why each teacher or director tells me something different.
*I don’t know why class starts at 1:00 on Mondays but 9:00 on the other days. 
*I don’t know why every bus is different: different seat/standing configurations, buttons to get off in different locations, some with white or blue shag carpet on the dash, some with fake soccer field grass on the floors, some are plain, etc.
*I don’t know why there are so many desks crammed haphazardly in my classroom when there are only 5 students. (I learned that some of the levels have upwards of 25 students so I'm actually lucky to only have 5 students and 25 chairs.)
*I don’t know why the ATM machine gives me 200 bills when everyone hates giving change for anything bigger than a 20. 
*I don’t know why there are turnstiles at the university that don't work so we have to walk around them. (Update: I learned they are there so students can scan id cards to allow them entry to campus. I now don’t know why I am a student at the university but I don’t have an id card. Instead, I have a piece of paper I’m supposed to carry in my pocket.)
*I don’t know what it means when someone blinks twice after a statement.
*I don’t know why I have 4 teachers spread over 5 days and why on Thursday and Friday there is a switch at the halfway point. 
*I don’t know why so many are frustrated with their Book’s inability to bring them peace and yet they’re too lazy to search for truth. 
*I don’t know why there are birds here when it is freezing outside.
*I don’t know why people constantly knock on the classroom door.
*I don’t know why they prop the door wide open when it’s windy, snowing, and 20 degrees outside.
*I don’t know why the bookstore is not open for students to buy books.
*I don’t know why delivery/service people insist on calling when they get to my house rather than calling ahead to make sure I will be there to let them in.
*I don’t know why the elevator in my building shows the number 7 when there are only 4 floors and 4 options on the control panel.
*I don’t know why the bus route spontaneously changed the other day. I wasn’t the only surprised or şaşkın (confused) one.
*I don’t know why people drink their coffee and tea here so scorching hot that the cup burns my fingers and scorches my tongue.
*I don’t know why it is acceptable to cancel tomorrow’s class last minute and move it to that afternoon instead. 
*I don’t know why bus drivers usually stop 3-10 ft past where I am standing.
*I don’t know why the one bus driver drove down the shoulder of the road.
*I don’t know why the police stopped my bus for ten minutes the other day. 

On the Flip Side
*I don’t know why America doesn’t have the counter lip at kitchen sinks so the water doesn’t splash on your front side.
*I don’t know why Americans aren’t more helpful to foreigners like Central Asians
*I don’t know why American cities aren’t organized better to have everything within walking distance. Why aren’t there markets on every corner with staple items.
*I don’t know why bottled water is so expensive in America. I can get a bottle here for about 20 cents.
*I don’t know why Americans settle for mediocre fruits and vegetables shipped from foreign lands and pay outlandish prices for said mediocre fruits and vegetables. Or why we eat so much packaged foods. Are we really that lazy. I get to buy such fresh produce here for cheap. 



No comments:

Post a Comment