Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Wish List

“If God were to give you all that you are begging for, what would you have?”

This question was posed to me today by a dear brother.

This statement was preceded by the reminder that God has all authority and unlimited supply. The brother told the story from Luke 11:5-13 where the friend asked his neighbor for some bread at midnight to feed his unexpected visitor. In the story, it says the neighbor won’t give him bread because he is his friend but he will because of the friend’s impudence (shameless boldness/relentless annoyance.) 

The brother went on to remind me that: 

-God wants me to come to Him in prayer with shameless boldness and relentless annoyance. 
-God has all authority. 
-God has unlimited supply. He doesn’t run out of resources.
-I can come to God in prayer at any time, on any day.
-I can be as invasive as I want.
-God delights in revealing Himself to those who are bold enough to bother Him.
-I can bother Him in everything, asking for mustard seeds and mountains.
-God is always approachable. 

Coming back to the original question, what would I have if God were to give me all I’m begging for? My truthful answer is I wouldn’t have much because I’m not asking for much. I neglect prayer. Perhaps I do not have because I do not ask. Or perhaps I’m asking for selfish things to bring glory to myself rather than glory for Him. 

A few days ago, I was meeting with my accountability partner. We had been praying for 2 issues and during our meeting realized both had been answered in abundance. We were shocked! I commented that we should see what else we could pray for since that was so easy. These answers and the posed question inspired me to go dream for a little while, to create a wish list.

I remember making Christmas wish lists in my childhood. I asked for an unrealistic amount of toys. My parents were on the poor side so there was no way they could have bought all the things on my wish list. My parents were limited, but God is not. Why not ask for it all? So I did.

I spent some time dreaming and writing out my wish list. What are the things I would want if I could ask God for anything? 

****** to have joy again.
***** to hunger for the Word more than anything else in his life.
**** to finally rest that her value comes from Christ.
***** to listen to Your Word alone
A tithe of workers to be sent out from my home fellowship.
For the sweetest national friendship becoming an eternal
     friendship from day one.
To have no fear, to be finally free.
For the gospel to explode in **** with churches multiplying 
     churches.
For ****** to become a worker sending nation.
For **** to fall in surrender to Your scandalous truth, for his 
     only security to be in Christ.
To be healed permanently from headaches and muscle pain.
To become fluent in the gospel.
To quickly become fluent in my new country and culture.
To become more balanced in the extrovert/introvert scale.
To increase in my aptitude for Scripture Memory, for 
     passages to stick quicker.
For *** towns to no longer be considered unreached.
For Cookeville will take ownership of reaching international   
     students.
For DAILY ABUNDANT JOY!!!!

He may not answer them all with a yes, but He might. What does it hurt to ask?

What would you wish for?

No comments:

Post a Comment