Life has been a whirlwind lately. I guess that is to be expected when you uproot your life and decide to replant it in another land far away. Some days I am in awe of the sweet treasures God is bringing my way. On other days, I am so caught up in all the tiny details that have to be done that I can’t see the forest for the trees.
| This is what I feel like most days |
I’ll give a brief synopsis of my whirlwind life of late.
I spent a week with people who are in the same boat whirlwind as me. We’re all new hires for the same company and getting ready to say goodbye here and then head overseas to various locations. It was nice to be around people who can identify with what I am experiencing. We spent a meal laughing at the grief we experienced from selling things at yard sales, things we would normally be glad to see gone. We also shared similar stories of the people we are sad to leave behind. We each shared the journey that has led us all to this point of wrapping things up in the States. The week of pre-training training was overwhelming. It’s exhausting to figure out finances overseas, visas, foreign taxes, etc. They gave us a list of things we need to start working on before our actual training.
After that I spent almost a week with my family, exhausted from the pre-training training and overwhelmed at all I need to do. I frantically worked on trying to whittle down the enormous to do list. I managed to make some progress but I’m finding that when I mark a few things off, my list has still somehow multiplied.
It’s amazing that in the midst of this chaos, the Father knows exactly when to make me lie down in green pastures and lead me by still waters. I spent last weekend with a great group of ladies at what has been dubbed the Princess Cabin Weekend. We mostly took a break from responsibilities and instead soaked in the goodness of each other’s company. We napped, watched a movie, sat in rocking chairs on the porch, played badminton and went horseback riding. That was my first time ever to get a horse ready for a ride, to trot and canter on a horse, and to ride a trail that wasn’t flat and straight. Needless to say, I was quite sore after the fact. I probably won’t ever do that again but I’m glad for the experience. It was neat to spend a few days with my fellow princesses who encouraged one another, served one another, and were generally unified in spite of our backgrounds. There was no bickering, no gossiping, no jealousy, no unnecessary drama. Only the power of Jesus living inside of us could accomplish that kind of sweet unity and fellowship.
After the weekend, I spent a couple days in my home former home, Cookeville. There were many treasures during those 2 days but it was also exhausting to try to squeeze in as much quality time with friends as possible. Between the cabin and my days in Cookeville, I had almost 6 days of constant people time. No wonder I’m exhausted!
I’ve been at home for the past few days and I’ve been working on my crazy multiplying list. I’ve had to hit it hard because God is leading me beside more still waters and allowing me to cross 2 things off my ‘CA or Bust-ket List.’ I’m getting ready to spend some extended time with my entire family and then my best friend. I want to work hard so I can leave it all behind me and enjoy time with them without stressing.
I’ll leave you with some things God has been teaching me. The first is the reminder of the mustard seed. This theme has came up in my life on multiple occasions over the last week. I realized how God took my small efforts to obey Him over the past few years and used those to do much ministry through me in my little sanctuary apartment. Then I was reminded of how a simple conversation with my friend, Erin, led me to this new journey of uprooting my life here. And her simple conversations about the Land that I Love has greatly shifted the focus of not only myself but at least 2-3 other families. She simply told about her experiences in this great land. Another mustard seed moment reminder came in the form of an email. Last summer, my friend Megan and I went to the park and struck up conversations about spiritual things with those who were interested. We met a lady and her daughter who were followers of Jesus. We asked the question, “Who is Jesus to you?” I remember the woman went on and on about all the ways Jesus had been a friend, redeemer, father, savior, etc. to her. Her answer made me want to shout Hallelujah! We exchanged emails and I have been emailing her with different ministry opportunities for over a year. She never responded to any of my emails until last week. She told me that our brief visit has changed her life. Our boldness to strike up conversations and ask thought-provoking questions to strangers has been a catalyst in her life. All of this came from two girls willing to step out of comfort zones and spend half an hour of time with strangers.
The other thing God has been teaching me encompasses the fact that I get Him. I’ve been reading through Romans and the part I’m in right now is talking about how what Jesus accomplished on the cross was meant to give assurance now and that I am currently justified. And the cross is there to not give present assurance but also future assurance, meaning I am not only right with God and my sins erased, but He will take away His future wrath and punishment for my sins. Then it goes on to say that we exult or rejoice in God. We get God Himself. He is no longer this distant being who is wrathful or doesn’t care but rather He has made a way for me to know Him intimately and closely as Friend and Father. I get God. He is now on my side and what can stand against me when God has my back?
In spite of reading this incredibly good news yesterday, I failed to actually live it. I took in this word but I didn’t let it wash over me and move me to worship. I went about my day essentially ignoring God. He was there, I had been made aware of His nearness and yet I missed the forest for the trees. I missed God for all the things I have to do. Why would I choose things when I have God Himself to enjoy? He took my sister and I at sunset to the place that overlooks the beautiful valley where I currently live. Afterwards, I kept saying how the sunset was so ‘gawdjus’ (think rich Mississippi woman accent.) And in the beauty, I was reminded of God’s nearness. Reminded of my friend saying how amazing that God can paint a whole sunset and then a few seconds later paint a whole new one. Reminded to worship Him because Jesus gave me access so I can worship God. Reminded that I get God.


No comments:
Post a Comment