Turning 18 (2000) Photo circa 2000
I remember my mom buying me 18 white roses for my birthday that year. She also had me a cake made, topped with a sterling silver grand piano jewelry box.
Turning 19 (2001)
This was the year I lived in the Dixie-Rye dorms (may they rest in peace.) My roommate cleaned my half of the room while I was in class. I was quite messy back in my dorm days. My mom and sister came up and my brother joined in for a birthday dinner at O’Charley’s. Later, my roommate and good friend Katie and I had a silly string fight followed by a few games of bowling.
Turning 20 (2002) No photo available
On my 20th birthday, for some reason my family was unable to visit me. It all worked out because my boyfriend at the time decided to take me out to dinner. After dinner, he had I went for a moonlit stroll around campus.
Turning 21 (2003) Photo is circa 2003
A few days before my 21st birthday, my New York boyfriend called and tried to ascertain my birthday plans. I explained several options to him trying to work out as I talked what I actually wanted to do. Finally he blurted out that he would be flying in on my birthday and would I be available to spend some time with him. I obviously replied in the affirmative. He joined my family and I for lunch. Then he and I went to the park for a bit before going to the driver’s license place together and getting new photos for our licenses. Afterwards, he joined me and all my girlfriends for dinner at O’Charleys where I had some birthday cake.
Turning 22 (2004) Photo is circa 2004
I spent the morning of this birthday at a park journaling about life and worshiping Jesus. My family came up later and we had a little celebration.
Turning 24 (2006) Photo is circa 2006
Some friends from my twenties-something ministry surprised me with a cake in my 24th year.
Turning 25 (2007)
The girls in my small group threw me a small surprise party. They gave me a singing birthday card. Also, my friend Patrick, sang Happy Birthday but added a special nickname that he still teases me with. My family and I went to the Smokies around my birthday to ride bikes around Cades Cove. I made a pinata and we had fun busting that thing open.
Turning 26 (2008)
My family came up and we went for a hike at Burgess Falls. Later, my small group made a homemade card of an inside joke from our group. The joke involved a tea cup poodle jumping into a glass table and almost passing out. I kept celebrating that year when some close friends and I went to Cheekwood Botanical Gardens and had sushi at Sam's.
Turning 27 (2009)
I was making plans to move overseas around my 27th birthday (which never happened.) If my plans progressed I figured I would not be in the states to celebrate my birthday for several years. With that in mind, I decided to throw myself a party. I had a tacky shirt contest which my friend Jody won because my dad voted for her rather than me. I'm not bitter or anything. My mom also wanted to have some surprises. She made a pinata decorated with photos of me dressed up as silly character I made up named Mama Bosco Snodgrass. She also put a photo of said character on the cake. Later, my friends joined in a viewing of the video I made about said character. I was upset at first because Mama Bosco Snodgrass had been reserved for those closest to me who would love me in spite of my craziness and I wasn’t ready to unleash her on other friends. Even now, the world wide web is not ready for Mama Bosco Snodgrass. If you happen to visit me though, I might just cave and show you the silly video. The party was a hit and we all laughed a ton as we acted like children in tacky shirts whacking at a pinata and laughing at my character’s silly antics. My parents helped me get an ipod touch as my birthday gift. I still have that same ipod and use it every day.
Turning 28 (2010)
My family and I went back to the Smokies and Cades Cove for another bike ride. We woke up early and biked the 11 mile loop. I remember thinking it was perfect. Perfect, weather, perfect spring flowers, perfect beauty, perfect being with my whole family. It was so great that we woke up the next day and did it again. After the first morning bike ride, we loaded up and went to Pigeon Forge and ate Mexican. They made me wear the silly sombrero and sang to me. I also remember having a terrible headache most of that day. This was the year that we began to celebrate birthdays at work. I believe we all went to my favorite sushi restaurant to celebrate.
Turning 29 (2011)
My family came up and joined me at church on my 29th birthday. Afterwards we went to the great sushi restaurant and followed that with some ice cream next door. It felt like everything went wrong at both places but at least I had some sweet time with my family. At my work birthday party, we began the great tradition of having a lunch time celebration playing cornhole at the park. It was lovely.
Turning 30 (2012)
I went home the night before this particular birthday. I awoke the next morning to a note from my dad asking me to call him. He informed me that they had scheduled me a massage to begin my day. After that, my mom and my sister proceeded to give me 29 more gifts for a total of 30 gifts for my 30 years. Most of the gifts were small things yet things I loved. After that my brother and his family came over. We had a bonfire and ate hobo packs and finished up with some cake. I also had a small group reunion party celebrating myself and my twin friends, Megan and Emily since we share a birthday.
Turning 31 (2013)
On my 31st birthday, I had an interview about a potential job in Nashville. It was a nice, nerve-wracking way to begin celebrating. Luckily my roommate rode with me to keep me company and the interviewer bought my lunch. Afterwards, I had an early dinner and a cupcake with my parents eating outside at the depot. Then I met up with my girlfriends and we had a blast acting like children while playing laser tag. I finished the night by joining my twin friends, Megan & Emily for birthday celebration for only May 1 birthdays. The weekend after my birthday, my parents and I went did the Creeper Trail and had amazing chocolate cake at the halfway point. A couple weeks after my birthday, my best friend and I celebrated our birthdays by going to Harry Potter World a.k.a. Universal Studios in Orlando. It was a great trip.
Click here for ages 0-16.
Click here for ages 0-16.










No comments:
Post a Comment