Thursday, November 22, 2012

In Sickness and Health

I arrived at work on Tuesday a bit late and thus a bit frazzled.  I sat down as the only other present co-worker rushed out to take care of things for her children. Twenty minutes into my work day, my head exploded with pain followed by other unpleasant feelings making me feel as if I had been hit by a truck. My coworker came back a few minutes later and I mumbled that I was not feeling well and managed to make it home and in my yard before being sick. My head then exploded again and I proceeded to spend the next ten or so hours on the couch trying to recover.  

In spite of all the pain and weakness, the day was glorious. It was a day reminiscent of Psalm 23: ‘He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters.’ 

All who know me know that I do not like crowds of people and that I could go many days seeing only one or two people or no people. Last weekend had been busy and full of people. The weekend looming ahead promised to be full of small spaces with lots of family members and loud children. I remember laying on the couch thinking, ‘Even though I feel awful, this is a gift.’ I spent the day sleeping, reading, sleeping, eating, watching movies and sleeping some more.  

I was reminded of all this again yesterday when I saw another friend post on Facebook about how she had been sick and said sometimes she thinks it happens to make her be still. I think she is indeed correct. The greener grass of sickness means rest. For Tuesday’s ceasing, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment