Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent... A Journey of Indulgence!


Several years ago, I realized how every year Easter would come along and I would be so busy with life that I never took time to sit down and meditate on the glorious reason we celebrate Easter. The season would come and go and I would be unchanged. I decided I wanted to take a whole weekend and get away from life and think about the cross, the resurrection, the reason for the season. With some Christmas money, I rented a cabin over the Easter weekend, entered the solitude for a few days, and I worshipped. By the time I made it to church on Easter Sunday, I was more than ready to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus. The next year I began participating in Lent as a way to spend a little over a month preparing my soul, heart, and mind for the glorious celebration.
For those of you who are unfamiliar, Lent is a time of fasting, abstaining from something that will seem like a sacrifice. It is a time for repentance, reflection, and preparation for Easter. Lent lasts for 40 days beginning today, Ash Wednesday. A person fasts Monday through Saturday and skips Sunday because it commemorates the Resurrection. The entire thing ends the day before Easter and by the time Easter arrives, so has joy!  
This year I have decided to do away with fasting and indulge instead. I plan to daily indulge on sweet, special, set-apart holy time with my Father. I plan to take walks, drink hot cocoa, listen to some good music, read some solid prayers while practicing His presence. I am daily focusing on scripture about light and hope. Instead of skipping Sundays, I am going to indulge even more and I am setting aside special ‘date time’ with my Lord. I am also implementing my own Way of Light Wreath, lighting a new candle every day until the crescendo where plethora of candles will be lit in eager expectation of the celebration of my risen Savior.  
Consider joining me in this ‘Journey of Indulgence’ and leaning into the Father. If you are looking for ideas or suggestions, I suggest reading this blog post:
"Come away with Me, Come away with Me
It's never too late, it's not too late
It's not too late for you
I have a plan for you
I have a plan for you
It's gonna be wild
It's gonna be great
It's gonna be full of Me"
-Brock Human

If you want to hear that awesome song, check out this link:


No comments:

Post a Comment